Simplify Your Life For Success - How to Minimise The Decisions You Make Each Day


Hello Again Beautiful People.

So earlier this year I returned from a two-year trip around Australia and New Zealand. How is this relevant you're probably thinking? Well, during this time I had to do what many people struggle to imagine doing. I packed my entire life into a backpack. This led to my discovery of minimalism and my research into why so many people are adopting this new way of living. 

What is Minimalism?

Minimalism is a new age style of living supported by popular books such as "The Magic of Tidying Up" as well as incredibly successful people such as Arianna Huffington. It is the idea of decluttering your life and keeping only the things you find essential or that bring you joy. 

Here are some of the benefits I have found to living without clutter. 

1. Decluttering my wardrobe meant that I only kept my favourite clothes. I gave myself a hard and fast rule that anything I hadn't worn in the last 90 days had to go (except for formal outfits such as wedding outfits that I don't get the opportunity to wear as often). At first throwing out most of my clothes felt ridiculous, how would I decide what to wear everyday? Well, surprisingly, this is the exact point! Minimalism improves your productivity and mental state by minimising the decisions you have to make every day, such as what to wear to work. I know have 5 outfits in my wardrobe that I absolutely love and make me feel great from Monday to Friday. In case you're wondering, I kept 2 skirt suits and the blouses I wear under hem, 2 dresses with a blazer, one black and one navy pair of work shoes and one pair of smart trousers. The weirdest thing about this? I used to spend ages deciding what to wear only to select a variation of these outfits pretty much every day anyway as they were my favourites. 

2. I decluttered my room including all of my draws and cupboards, the space under my bed and my desk space. Sounds intimidating right? Well among the things I found were 12 unfilled notebooks, 3 bed sets from before my room was decorated years ago that I would never use, 3 unreturned library books from my old university library (I graduated nearly five years ago! OOPS!), An old broken fan, several presents that I had meant to re-gift but had forgotten about, a broken game boy that had to be at least ten years old, about a hundred useless pens, out of date make-up and much much more. Now I'm not the best at tidying so for years I had been shoving all of this stuff away rather than clearing it out. Once I did, there was a dramatic change in how much more grown up, open and tidy my room looked. All of my clothes now hang neatly on one rail, my desk space is tidy, I kept only what actually matches my new decor and It no longer takes me forever to find things because my draws aren't full of junk. 

3. I did the same with my kitchen and was amazed how many duplicate things me and my partner had created since moving in together. We had nearly twenty plates and bowls, for TWO people. Talk about unnecessary washing up! We also had several broken appliances including a defunct heart shaped fried egg maker, a broken blender as well as several tablecloths and old tea towels that had long been replaced. 

4. I blitzed the living room. I got rid of the lamp I had always hated, sorted all of my DVDs, BOOKS and CDs out and kept only the amount that fitted into cabinets or bookshelves as opposed to having stacks of them everywhere.

You know what they say, tidy house, tidy mind! 

5. I decluttered my email computer and email inbox. This might sound like a weird one but how many of you have to scroll through pages of old (or worse, junk!) emails or aged old files that you never use or might not even be yours. I had folders from my previous job, photos of past relationships I had no idea were still there and so many free subscriptions and promotions from when I was a student or became a member of a website newsletter for a 20% discount on something and got spammed in return (I'm talking to you ASOS and New Look!) 

6. I de-cluttered my relationships. This was by far the hardest to do! I finally let go of the one way friendships I had been holding onto since school or university where it was always me trying to keep in touch. I deleted the Facebook friends that only ever posted attention seeking or negative status's and I started saying no to the people who expected me to spend all my time doing things to please them but never reciprocated. The hard truth is that many of us are hanging on to toxic relationships or friendships. Ask yourself whether the people in your life are adding to it or taking away, and if you have someone that is family or too close to cut out of your life completely, then at least unfollow them on social media. The chances are they probably won't even notice and your head will be so much clearer without that negativity in your life. 

So how did minimalism improve my life? Well, I save time on daily decisions that are now insignificant, I focus better and am more productive because I have a clean workspace and it is such a relief to walk around my house and not be overwhelmed by piles of things i have been telling myself I would sort out. Most of all I know that the people in my life I spend my time on are the ones that return my love, appreciation and support. 


You may be thinking that I went to the extreme and that's OK but according to the experts even a small amount of decluttering can improve your mindset!

Once again, I hope you all have a happy, healthy and productive week and I will see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Four Pillars of Habit Building Series: Pillar No 4!

Good Morning Everyone, I hope your Monday morning has been manic-free so far. I don't know about you but I was less than happy this m...